My husband affectionately called me a ____ disturber the other day… because I posted this as my Facebook status:
How many of my Christian friends are believers because someone wished you Merry Christmas instead of a Happy Holidays?
(not a single person commented by the way… )
Honestly the push every year to “keep Christ in Christmas” as an attempt to salvage our “right” to wish people a Merry Christmas and force them to extend the same to us…drives me a little bonkers… because there are much better ways to honour Jesus’ birth than to fight the retail industry for a Yuletide greeting… and yes I have a few ideas:
- Stop and chat with the Salvation Army workers with their giving kettles… toss some coins (or better yet bills) into the slot while you’re at it.
- Celebrate Hanukkah… we did this one year at a dear friend’s house and it was seriously fun… plus Jesus was Jewish.
- Give… anonymously… without fanfare… no tweets about it… no Facebook statuses… just you and God pouring love on others.
- Tell and retell the story of Jesus birth to your children… read it from your bible to them… help them to be in awe of the miracle.
- Respond to those “Have a Happy Holidays” with a sincere “thanks, you too”… that will probably go further than a snide “Merry Christmas.”
How about you? What are your ideas for actually keeping Christ in Christmas?